It’s the end of pregnancy week 20. It’s been a good week! It’s the half way point!!! Only another 18 to 22 weeks to go.
On Monday we had our 20-week scan at Chelsea and Westminster hospital. I’ve been 100% convinced that I was carrying a boy. I’ve no idea why. Just a feeling. Maybe because I initially wanted a girl?
I wasn’t really fussed but I thought seeing as I am a girl I’d find being mum to a girl would be slightly easier. That’s probably rubbish but it was my initial reaction.
Then when I thought about it more I thought I’d actually prefer a boy because boys born under the cancer sign are so lovely (like Tommy, Chuck’s “brother” who now lives in Oz). So I basically changed my mind and thought maybe I wanted a boy too.
Anyway I became convinced I was having a boy and either way was fine with me because I wanted one of each.
So our 20-week scan went ahead and the technician or whatever the scan-people are called made lots of encouraging noises. All growth and development was spot on. Right size, right bits, no sign of any birth defects, everything as it should be – plus we’re still on course for the 9th July “guess date”.
They make you go all the way through all this before they reveal the sex of your baby – for some reason the gender of my unborn Mango was more of interest than the health and wellbeing. I guess I took it for granted.
We were told for a boy they can usually spot something sticking out between the legs so as the legs were scanned and measured Chuck and I looked for signs.
What we thought could have been a willy turned out to be umbilical cord!
Finally the scan woman searched with her scanner for signs of sex – a sticky outy willy or three lines for a girl.
Our baby had…
THREE LINES!! We’re having a girl!!!!
We were both over the moon! I’m never usually happy about being proven wrong but I was so excited. A little daughter is growing inside me!
Chuck was thrilled. She’s going to be such a daddy’s girl.
Old wives tales for having a girl:
- Carrying high –nope, the baby is pretty much in the middle
- Sweet cravings – nope, I’ve wanted cheese, veggie sushi and salads mostly.
- Heartbeats –actually don’t know what her heart speed is so can’t answer this one.
- Round face –my face isn’t round and rosy. It’s normal… so far
- Husband weight gain – apparently if your husband puts on weight your having a girl. This HAS happened.
- Left boob bigger than the right – yeah, that is true too actually. Slightly.
- 71% of mum’s guess correctly – I’m not one of them.