Perfect Food: Sunday Dinner
Roulade is one of those dishes which looks super impressive but is actually pretty easy. And it’s unbelievably tasty and versitile. You can make whatever filling you want and it’ll be delicious.
Easy chicken & bacon roulade recipe
Thick white sauce (large knob of butter, 2x tablespoon of plain flour, 1 pint of milk)
3 free-range eggs – seperated
1x organic chicken breast – chopped
4x rashes of organic bacon – chopped
1x onion – finely chopped
1x stalk of celery – finely chopped
A handful of dry breadcrumbs or finely chopped nuts
A handful of grated cheese (reserve some to finish)
Salt & pepper
Small knob of butter
Method – How to make an easy chicken & bacon roulade
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees (fan) with the baking sheet or shallow tray (appox the size of an A4 sheet of paper) inside to heat up too.
2. Make a thick white sauce that you can almost stand a spoon up in. I make a roux with melted butter and the flour, then gradually stir in the milk until it’s nice and smooth, then blast it for 2 mins bursts in the microwave (usually takes 3 cycles), stirring after each cycle until thickened and smooth. Season to taste.
3. Seperate the eggs and add the yolks to the white sauce. Beat the eggs until they form soft glossy peaks – use an electric whisk.
4. Fold the egg whites into the sauce gently so you don’t knock out all the air. (This is basically a souffle).
5. Cut a piece of greaseproof paper to fit the tray and rub with the small knob of butter to make sure the mixture won’t stick.
6. Remove the tray from the oven and carefully lay a piece of greaseproof paper on top. Do not burn yourself!
7. Scatter the cheese over the paper and then the nuts or the breadcrumbs.
8. Spoon on the white sauce and egg mixture and spread it out evenly over the tray. Return to the oven for 20-30 minutes. Cook until golden brown.
9. In the meantime put the chopped onion and celery in a large frying pan with olive oil and leave over a medium heat to soften.
10. Once the veg is softened add the chopped chicken and bacon and cook thoroughly over a medium heat. Season to taste.
11. Take the souffle out of the oven once it’s golden brown and firm. Spoon over the filling and spread evenly.
12. Next use the greaseproof paper to gently roll the souffle mix up like a log trapping the filling in between.
13. Grate some more cheese on top and and return to the oven for 10 minutes to melt and crisp up.
Serve with roast tomatoes and roast potatoes – delicious.